The intention of this site is to support as many people as possible in creating a habit of practice. For 40 consecutive days, anyone who wants to can commit to a minimum of 10 minutes of asana. I will offer daily sequences here, something quick for busy days and a longer practice for when you have more time. Our start date is February 16, otherwise known as Fat Tuesday.

Monday, February 8, 2010

An Introduction

This is so exciting! I have wanted to do a 40 day yoga challenge ever since my friend Darren told me about the one that they did at his studio in Tucson. But then I moved to the country, had babies, and a bunch of other very cool stuff that made going to a studio every day for 40 days nigh impossible. Alas. Actually, I am not exactly sure why it has taken me so long to think about doing it this way instead. I suppose that it is because I enjoy the community aspect of yoga so very much. I was brought up in the Anusara Yoga(TM) method and community is a central aspect of that school. (As a side note, I am very much aligned with Anusara and pretty much everything that I have to offer comes directly from what I have learned from the brilliant teachers in that method, many of whom I will probably mention sooner or later- see Darren above- and to each of whom I am eternally grateful.)

As it is not currently in the stars for most of us to make it in to the studio to practice every day for 40 days, we will make it in when we can, and the rest of the time we will meet here. Every day I will post a sequence, some days they will be just a brief taste and other days a longer dish. Sometimes I will put up some pics of poses and maybe even some video clips, but always a list of poses. A note about the pose list. I try to use the Sanskrit names almost exclusively. I encourage you to learn these names. It will serve you immensely. Whenever you do not know what a pose is you can find it here.

Also, any public classes that you do go to, whether you live in Viroqua or not, count as your practice for that day. You, of course, are more than welcome to do the online sequence as well, but you do not need to.

I encourage everyone to leave a comment for each practice so that we all know who is out there and that we are participating in this as a community, even tho an on-line one. It will help us all to keep going. We are building a habit of health and self care here. By having structured discipline around this intention for a large chunk of time we are bettering the odds that the habit will stick. And whenever we do anything like this in any area of our lives be it diet or parenting or learning a trade, the support of our community is always invaluable. So rock the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment