The intention of this site is to support as many people as possible in creating a habit of practice. For 40 consecutive days, anyone who wants to can commit to a minimum of 10 minutes of asana. I will offer daily sequences here, something quick for busy days and a longer practice for when you have more time. Our start date is February 16, otherwise known as Fat Tuesday.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 4

This is so fun. I mean really. I cannot think of anything else that I do where when I am done I feel that good. Yoga. It really is like nothing else. But, I have drunk the kool-aid. Tons of it actually. For almost 14 years. Yum.

And as awesome as it is to eek out 10 minutes on your mat, 90 minutes is better. Not as in better or worse. Just better. I feel that much better. I guess you could say that it is all on a spectrum, and everywhere on the spectrum is good, and the further you go it is just more goodness.

Day 4. Friday. Heretofore will be known as Flow Friday. Or better yet Flow and Glow Friday.

Here's the deal; Set the timer for a minimum of 20 minutes (or set your alarm for at least 20 minutes from when you start). Then simply do Surya Namaskar A until you hear beep. It can be however fast or slow you like. Just follow your breath and have fun.

Surya Namaskar A
Tadasana
inhale to Urdhva Hastasana (arms overhead)
exhale Uttanasana
inhale Ardha Uttanasana
exhale to Plank to Chaturanga Dandasana
inhale Bhujangasana or Urdhva Muhka Svanasana
exhale Adho Muhka Svanasana
stay for 3-10 breaths
bottom of an exhale hop forward
inhale Ardha Uttanasana
exhale Uttanasana
inhale Urdhva Hastasana
exhale Tadasana (anjali mudra)

(those members of my family who are participating, ahem, please let me know what is shakin'. You know that you want to let me know that you are out there. Or at least I want you to.)

5 comments:

  1. hey darlin'
    this family member's letting you know-- i have yet to join you in your yoga journey. as a total novice, i'd have to spend all my time looking up all the poses (which proves to be a long activity). but, no fear- your words are encouraging and inspiring all the same- and i am making my best effort to actually start yoga classes in my new community in this time period.
    shouldnt take me 40 days??! :)
    keep rockin' yogis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel,
    I have had to spend a lot of time looking up poses too. If you go to the link that Meg posted.... www.yogajournal.com, there is a sequence builder that saves a LOT of time. To find it, use the POSES tab, then BUILD A SEQUENCE. Most of the poses are listed there, some are not, but I've been able to look up a few that are missing and find similar poses in the builder.
    I hope that helps you on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg, Could you post last week's class poses Wednesday (2/10)? I'd really appreciate it. I'm likin this...
    Thanks, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is an idea: What if you just do a preliminary look up of each pose. And then each day after that add one more. Just one. Because here is the deal, there are always going to be a million seemingly very compelling reasons not to practice. That is why it is not easy to make it a habit. That is why so many of us never do. That is why this is a challenge. Because if it weren't, it would never mean nearly as much.

    Per request:
    Adho Muhka Virasana (AMV)
    Adho Muhka Svanasana (AMS)
    Uttanasana
    Lunges
    Plank
    Chaturanga

    Supta Padangustasana
    Navasana
    Ardha Navasana

    Ardha Chandrasana
    Vira 3
    Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana
    Seated Baby Cradle
    Eka Hasta Bhujasana
    Wide Uttanasana
    Dwi Hasta Bhujasana
    Bhujapidasana
    Tittibasana
    Malasana
    Uttanasana
    Bakasana
    Pigeon
    Eka Pada Galavasana
    AMS
    Bhujangasana
    AMV
    Savasana

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks meggy, for kicking my butt! and jillian for posting the link! yeaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete