The intention of this site is to support as many people as possible in creating a habit of practice. For 40 consecutive days, anyone who wants to can commit to a minimum of 10 minutes of asana. I will offer daily sequences here, something quick for busy days and a longer practice for when you have more time. Our start date is February 16, otherwise known as Fat Tuesday.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 2

I have a confession. I did not do yesterday's practice. Every other Tuesday I am fortunate enough to travel up to Iyengar Yoga Land in Lacrosse and take classes with one of the most seasoned teachers I have ever had the pleasure of studying with, Chris Saudek. But I think that many of you are most likely happier with the sequence that you did. Not quite so crazy. And that is saying a lot!

Here is my rap on timers. When you stay in a pose for a little longer than you are comfortable, something magical begins to happen. You are asked to be steady with a part of yourself that you do not often have the opportunity to sit with. You may be familiar with this part, but in a much more adversarial or reactionary way. However, when you invite it forward in a way that is tempered with a little curiosity, you are actually developing the ability to relate to that part of yourself in the moments when it "flares up" and gives you trouble. This to me is one of the great gifts of Yoga. Through the practice, we shine the light of our awareness of the multitude of different parts that make up who we are, as complex and beautiful as that is. So stay in the pose a little longer. Get a timer.

Again, for the beginners, any effort you can make to get to a class, you are going to be served so greatly. Unfortunately, I am not at a point in my life where I have the resources to put up images of every posture, I can only refer you to some reliable resources. Such as this book. I cannot tell you the value of this text for every student of yoga. Order it right now and it will come at the same time as your timer.

Day 2:

sit quietly
Uttanasana (1 minute)
lunges (lots)
Adho Muhka Svanasana (1 min)

1 minute each side:
Virabadrasana 2
Parsvakonasana
Prasaritta Padottanasana
Anjaneyasana
Uttanasana

If you are accustomed to Supta Virasana, take the pose for 5 minutes with the arms extended overhead. If you do not practice this pose, take Ardha Bhekasana, 1 minute each side, 2 times.
Adho Muhka Svanasana
Adho Muhka Virasana
Savasana

This should land you at around 20 minutes. Have Fun!

6 comments:

  1. Meg,
    I am inspired by your project! I am still running a lot (although now only on dirt trails, never pavement), but not as much as I was before we had kids.... they are now 3, 5, and 7... all boys. The mama thing keeps me busy. I was lucky enough to complete my yoga teacher training this past summer though, and even though I am just learning (after so many years of practicing yoga inconsistently, i am practicing now almost daily), just skimming the surface... my mind is exploding. I trained in a Vinyasa-style studio... love the flow and the breath.
    I will keep up with your initiative. you look happy.
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy Mama Sarah! Let me know if you have any questions. It is a tribe of Yoga Mamas really. I think of the running group all of the time. Maybe Viroqua needs one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    It took me forever to look up all the poses, but afterwards I was so grateful I had. I managed to get about an hour and a half of yoga and meditation in today! Thanks for doing this. I think it's going to be great for me to always have access to your wonderful wisdom!
    corina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corina! Sweet! I know that it is so tedious to look up all of the poses. I would love if I had a photo for each posture that I could just pop up there.... a future endeavor. Lots of love. Hope your B-day was grand. Welcome to the 30's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've decided I'm actually glad to be looking up all the poses....I'm learning SO much, even before my mat comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Good Jillian. It is kind of an amazing process. I have always benefitted a lot from beginning in that way. It is like the yoga takes root in your mind before you begin. You rock. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete